onsdag den 23. april 2008

A little back story on me

I was born in Seoul, South Korea and was lucky enough to be adopted to Denmark, where I have spent the better part of my life. I also lived in the USA for three years.

When I am not racing towards deadlines, I enjoy playing basketball and cooking. As I work in an office most of the day, I want to make sure my body and mind get enough energy.

I was introduced to animation at a museum in the USA at the age of seven. It was love at first sight. At first, I did not think of taking up animation professionally, but some how I always kept coming back it. My parents always encouaged me to follow my dreams, so I went straight to studying classical drawing after gymnasium. It did not take me long to realise that I had a lot of work ahead of myself, so I spent more than a year working in a supermarked by day and perfecting my drawing skills by night.

I got into The Animation Workshop's Character Animation line on my 2nd try. Unlike most countries, Danish schools are state funded, with the exception of this one. Luckily, my parent had put away some money for me and after very little arguement they agreed to let me spend it on the then 1 year programme. Together with the other students, I worked like a maniac. I came to school at 8a.m every day and worked until 2a.m. every night. I loved every moment of it and I became very good friends with my classmates.

As a rather extraordinary coincidence, The Animation Workshop got state funded while I was attending it. That meant two things; first the school became much cheaper and secondly it now handed out a BA in Character Animation after three and a half years of study. Most of my classmates and I took the admissions tests again and started on the new line.

In Summer 2004, two of my fellow students and I decided to make a short film. You could call it somewhat of a dogmatic animation film, because the whole thing was done in 1 month. So far, it has won 2 animation awards.

During my second year, my girlfriend and I came up with an idea for a VOD site targeting the animation industry. We had come to realise how many high quality animation short films in the world just lay around and collect dust. Together, we structured a business plan and got 200.000 € from a state fund to start up our company.

So in 2007, I graduated with a BA in Character Animation and started working as the Managing Director of BeanstockTV ApS. My girlfriend, who was still at school at the time, assumed the position of Art Director. We hired 3 employees to help make the website and take care of sales and marketing. Unfortunately, once the site was ready to launch, we were unable to find further financing. By end 2007, we had to close shop. Despite the tragic end of this first company, I learned a great deal that I can use for future projects.

After BeanstockTV, I got back to animating. So far, I had several small jobs here and there. Right now, I'm helping my girlfriend finish her final project at The Animation Workshop (http://sheepfilm.blogspot.com). Once that's done, we hope to find work in the animation industry and travel the world.

Ingen kommentarer: